For my latest blog post for 2021—which is pretty crazy to say—I’ll be sharing my latest comprehensive. Update of my project for the year, discussing the makeup products I’ve been able to finish.
At the beginning of this year, I identified 21 products I wanted to use by the end of 2021. Since I don’t wear makeup daily, this was avery ambitious goal, but it’s always a good idea to challenge yourself. And re-evaluate throughout the year. I’ve shared3 different reports on the project’s progress over the course of the year, which you can check out here.
Last year, I participated in The Project Paneer Tag, which taught me about the makeup and product habits I struggle to finish in my project templates. For example, I’ve found blush products and eyeshadow palettes particularly hard to use, so I’ll keep that in mind for any future project articles I do.
For those of you who don’t know what a project template is, it’s where you aim to “hit the pan” on a specific number of makeup products. It is designed to help you pay attention to your makeup spending habits and the products you own. Hitting pan means the finished or nearly finished with eye shadow, blush, or pressed powder. Being able to see the bottom of the box containing the product shows that you have used the shade a lot. Although “hitting pan” refers to powder products, the project pan extends to any makeup item.
How well did I perform across this year’s project? Keep reading to see which products I managed to finish, and which ones I couldn’t quite use. Spoiler alert: I’ve done more makeup products this year than I did in 2020, so I’m dead.
** This post contains some affiliate links. This means that at no additional cost to you, I earn some commission if you purchase a product through my link. All thoughts are mine, though, as always. If you would like to learn more, visit my affiliate disclosure page**
Products I Finished – 8
- Lancôme Hypnôse Mascara in Noir Hypnotic – £27 I used this mascara at the start of this year’s project
- Kat Von D Tattoo Liner – £17 I’m glad I used this liquid eyeliner, because it’s been in my collection for a while
- Colourpop All Star Matte Setting Spray – £8 This setting spray has been done for a while
- Glossier Boy Brow – £14 I swiped through Boy Brow so fast, I use it in every makeup look I do
- Sephora Lip Liner in Shade 15 – £4.40 This lip liner got so small I couldn’t physically use it
- Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer – £28 I used this primer faster than expected
- NYX Cosmetics Soft Matte Lip Cream in Cannes – £6 I finally used this lipstick
- Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless Foundation – £6 Although I love this foundation, I’m glad I finished it, as there are other foundations in my collection that are better.
Products Almost Expired – 2
- Maybelline Lasting Drama Light Eyeliner – £4.80 This white eyeliner comes close to being unusable due to its small size. I’m surprised I didn’t finish this eyeliner in 2021
- Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Concealer – £23 This concealer is pretty dry now, so even though I still use it, I don’t see it lasting longer at all. Maybe 15 other uses
The rest of the Pan project products 2021 – 11
- Charlotte Tilbury Eyes to Mesmerize in Champagne – £22 I’ve already used this cream a lot this year, but the bowl was pretty full when I started with it, so it was an ambitious goal for me to finish it in 2021
- KKW Beauty Crème Contour Stick – £13 This creamy contour stick is very easy to make progress due to its silky texture. I couldn’t finish it this year, but I’m happy with my progress
- L’Oreal Paris Telescopic Mascara – £11 Putting 2 mascaras into this year’s project was very ambitious, but I’ve been using this consistently since I finished one Lancône, so I’m sure I could use this in 2022
- Giorgio Armani Power Fabric Foundation – £43 This bottle is probably half full now. In the latter half of this year, I focused on finishing with a Maybelline foundation, so progress has been slower. Hope I can use this next year
- Urban Decay Nude Eyeshadow Palette – £43 I actually managed to hit a palette on one of the shades in this eyeshadow palette (far left), but it was unrealistic for me to think I could use this palette in 2021
- RCMA No-Color Powder – £11.75 I’ve used about half of this translucent powder, and I’m happy with it. It takes me a long time to use this so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to finish it in 2022
- ICONIC London Illuminator – £30 Despite mixing these eye drops with my foundation so much this year, I couldn’t finish the liquid highlighter. It’s a dyed product, so I can’t use too much at one time
- Soleil Tan de Chanel – £40 I was “generally hitting” on this bronzer a long time ago. I have used a lot of it now, but there are still a lot of products left
- Tarteist Lip Bling – £18 It was silly to think I could use this full gloss in a year, because it’s so shiny, so I wouldn’t say wearable. I hardly made any progress with this at all
- Essence Matt Touch Blush Peach Me Up – Hard to use blush products £1, but I was able to use a fair amount of blush this year, so I’m very happy with the progress
- Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Liquid Lipstick in Christmas Cookie – £16 There’s still plenty left in this lipstick. I definitely should have done more to finish this liquid lipstick in 2021
Final thoughts on my project in 2021
Overall, I’m very happy with my overall project for 2021. I’ve been able to use more products than last year, with a couple more about to finish as well.
I’ve learned that trying to finish 21 products this year was 100% too much for me. I don’t wear makeup every day, and only keep it on on the weekends. Next year I will be setting a goal of using up to 10 makeup products, as this will be much. More realistic and only 2 products will be available than the quantity I finished this year. I have to be wary of eyeshadow palettes, blush products, and lipsticks, as these categories seem particularly difficult to finish.
For whole of next year’s project, I’ll be rolling out several makeup products I haven’t used in this blog post. Along with some others that I think I can finish in 2022. So stay tuned for my 2022 project post in the very near future.
I’m happy with the number of makeup products I’ve finished this year and feel happier as I’m actively trying to reduce my makeup collection. I’ve definitely restricted my makeup buying this year as well, so I’d say 2021 has been a successful year.
Thanks for reading, and I hope you keep reading my blog in 2022 and beyond. Wishing you a wonderful New Year everyone!